This thick, cheesy chowder is perfect for the first crisp days of fall.
Yield: About 12 cups
¼ cup butter
1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
½ cup chopped onion
3 Poblano peppers or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 medium sized potatoes, peeled and chopped
¼ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. salt (can be omitted)
4 chicken bullion cubes
4 cups boiling water or 32 oz. chicken broth
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 ½ cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Head of broccoli
1. Melt butter in large pot over medium heat; add peppers, onion and garlic and sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add potatoes, cumin and salt. Melt bullion cubes in boiling water (or use premade chicken broth) and gradually add to the pot. Bring potato mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
2. While potatoes are cooking, chop broccoli into florets. Place florets and small amount of water in microwave safe bowl and microwave on high 4 or 5 minutes until tender. Set aside.
3. Whisk together flour and milk. Stir into potato mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly 5 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low.
4. Add cheese, stirring until melted
5. Stir broccoli into potato mixture.
6. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes and broccoli until most are mashed. Ladle into bowls and top with crispy crumbled bacon if desired.
Adapted from Southern Living Queso-Broccoli Potato Chowder.
To download a .pdf of this recipe, click here.