OVEN BAKED CAKE DONUTS
Bake Time 12 -16 minutes
Makes 8 — 6 pts on Blue
- ½ cup Vanilla Greek Yogurt (if you use unsweetened, it will be less points, this is what I accidentally bought) 2 pts
- 1 large egg 0 pts
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract 0 pts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce 0 pts
- ½ cup sugar substitute (I use sucralose) 0 pts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 12 pts
- ½ teaspoon baking soda 0 pts
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- For Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar 29 pts
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted 5 pts
- 1-3 tablespoons milk
- food coloring & sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease donut pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the yogurt, egg, vanilla, applesauce, and sugar substitute in a bowl.
- Add flour, soda, salt, and nutmeg and stir together until well combined.
- Fill donut pan with batter and bake for 12-16 minutes or until the top is springy to the touch and the sides are turning golden brown. I used a serving spoon to spoon the dough into the donut rings, but you could just as easily use an icing piper. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
- For the Glaze: In a bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, melted butter, and stir in 1 tablespoon of milk, adding additional milk as needed to achieve the correct consistency. You want it thin enough to be spreadable but thick enough that it won’t drip down the sides of the donuts. Add food coloring if desired. Dip one side of the donut into the glaze bowl to coat with glaze or use a knife to spread the glaze on top.
Makes 8 donuts, 6 pts each on Blue Plan. If you only make half the icing recipe and use it as a light glaze, the points could be reduced to 4.25 each (I guess that means you have to round it up to 5.) If you play fast and loose like I do, it’s only 4. 🙂
Source: adapted from Curly Girl Kitchen.